If you know anything about me, you know I’m a chocolate fiend. In my book, if it ain’t chocolate, it ain’t dessert. Chocolate chip cookies, chocolate cake, chocolate truffles, chocolate fudge over ice cream, chocolate covered strawberries and chocolate pie. Now that’s a dessert.
“What’s a chocolate pie,” you ask? Well, a damn simple and damn delicious piece of heaven that my Nana used to make for us when I was little, and of course my mom has carried on that tradition as well. This is a great dessert to make for the family because it’s easy to whip together in an afternoon and it doesn’t have any complicated flavors that kids won’t like. Or picky adults. 🙂
Nana’s Chocolate Pie
- Pie shell (pre-baked store bought or homemade)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Cool Whip or whipped cream
- Cook pie shell in the oven according to directions. No shame in using store bought.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Blend in 2 cups milk and 3 egg yolks.
- Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until thick. It should start to take on a pudding-like consistency.
- Remove from heat. Add 2 tbsp butter and 1 tsp vanilla (don’t forget it like I always do).
- Pour chocolate mixture into pre-cooked pie shell.
- Let chill in the fridge uncovered for at least 4 hours.
- When you’re ready to serve, top with whipped cream, Cool Whip or meringue.